[Tf-curation] CMDI Best Practices meeting February

Pavel Stranak stranak at ufal.mff.cuni.cz
Fri Jan 19 13:31:49 CET 2018

Hi,

> On 19 Jan 2018, at 11:21, Twan Goosen <twan at clarin.eu> wrote:
>
> 2. GitBook alternatives comparison:
> <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v0FmwYojN4Z_85GbETlIonokXKUXeQJe0tQ-7Rstn2U/edit?usp=sharing>
>
> If you are aware of potential alternatives to GitBook, please add them
> to this sheet. There are some columns to describe the features and
> conditions for each of the solutions. If you think other information
> might be useful, feel free to add it.

I didn't add another option, but another column. I use markdown regularly, but for very different things than Latex. Basically I use markdown when I do not care about typesetting, only about structure.

I don’t know GitBooks, so I have no idea about its typesetting mechanism. I know how to do a custom page size, headers, footers, fonts, margins (and margin notes), 2-column text, or typeset math in Latex. I have no idea whether I can do any of that in GitBooks.

I am not saying it must be a  decisive factor, because things get more complicated when we think about eBooks, just that we should probably consider it.

Pavel