[Tf-curation] CMDI Best Practices meeting February

Twan Goosen twan at clarin.eu
Fri Jan 19 11:21:33 CET 2018

Hi all,

It took a few days to get round to it but I have now managed to
follow-up on two TODOs we agreed on in Monday's CMDI best practices
meeting (also see the notes in the meeting page, link in quoted text
below).

There are now two spreadsheets that could be expanded with your input:

1. "General info" type components comparison:
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10JrWFmzc95tszWleaWvgv0bUNRyHWSqKbcFEtIb1kmw/edit?usp=sharing>

Each row represents a component. The first four columns are reserved for
some basic information about the component, including a link (which you
can get via the 'Show info' option in the drop down menu of the
components table in the registry), and the remaining columns form an
'element matrix'. If you encounter elements that are already listed in
the component you are evaluating, add an 'x' in that column, otherwise
you can add a new column. Grouping similar elements will make comparison
at a later stage easier. I have added two components to get started; I
believe that Hanna, Oddrun and Susanne had a few other components in
mind. We can review the result in the next meeting.

2. GitBook alternatives comparison:
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v0FmwYojN4Z_85GbETlIonokXKUXeQJe0tQ-7Rstn2U/edit?usp=sharing>

If you are aware of potential alternatives to GitBook, please add them
to this sheet. There are some columns to describe the features and
conditions for each of the solutions. If you think other information
might be useful, feel free to add it.

This morning I sent an e-mail to GitBook to ask about the possibility of
getting a free or cheap professional account but they have not replied
yet (fingers crossed). I have not been able to create a new common
account due to some technical issue on the side of GitBook. I have
joined their Slack and asked about it (also this morning), and guess
what... still waiting for an answer. As soon as I know more I will let
you all know.

Have a nice Friday/weekend! :)

Best,
Twan

PS It looks like the next meeting is going to take place on 19, 20 or 22
February but we are still waiting for at least Oddrun to also fill in
the Doodle.

--
Twan Goosen
Software developer at CLARIN ERIC