[Standards] KPI spreadsheet: modifications

Piotr Banski banski at ids-mannheim.de
Mon Oct 26 15:59:53 CET 2020

Dear all,

I have introduced some changes to the KPI spreadsheet, in order to make
it both more comprehensive and easier to read (and, well, let's see how
that has worked out...). As a reminder, the link is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MEK-RAqK3eCXb6g8pztB1WI7atzbp3KUZ455izdSJj4/edit

I have separated the horizontal list of centres into several sections
and added some colour coding. I have also saved two named versions of
the spreadsheet: one marks the state from before the CAC (that is the
one that I copied and made available for commenting during the
pitch/Bazaar sessions), and one has some centres added but no
rearrangement (that one has "35 centres" in its name).

Because the abbreviations used for centres are not always easily
recognizable, I thought that arranging them according to some
independent and easily accessible ordering could be beneficial. I used
the ordering in the https://www.clarin.eu/content/certified-centres list
for the first part. (That also allowed me to spot the missing Pisa
centre, ILC; added now).

After that part comes Cocoon -- a C-centre that nevertheless accepts
data and therefore may fall under the KPI, depending on its exact
definition. Next comes CLST RUN (more on that later), and further comes
a list of 10 centres that are described at https://centres.clarin.eu/ as
"aiming for B".

I am a bit puzzled about the interplay between CLST RUN (ru.nl) and ACE
(https://ace.ruhosting.nl/), and this probably comes from me not being
fully aware of the institutional ties and knots...

If I get it reasonably right, ACE is part of CLST. CLST is a C-centre,
while ACE is a K-centre that accepts data, and the page listed for CLST
(https://www.ru.nl/clst/clarin-centre/preferred-recommended-data-formats/
) actually talks about ACE. Perhaps we could simply put "ACE / CLST" in
the head of the column and let the nitty-gritty fade into the
background? :-)

All in all, what we have in the spreadsheet now is: a list of the
certified B-centres, followed by two non-B centres that nevertheless
accept data and provide the relevant info pages, followed by a list of
wannabe-B-centres that await the certification process. Members of the
latter set are in a way waiting to be moved to the part listing
B-centres, once the certification is successful.

The KPI can be computed over the B-centres or over the {B-centres,
Cocoon, ACE} set, depending on its definition or the required angle.

If this is accepted by the CSC, then we could establish the KPI-related
part of our workplan as getting the info on the missing B-centres filled
(noting that ILC4CLARIN needs to be placed in Fahad's hands :-)) and
getting in touch with the Assessment Committee about the
(re-)certification process that should automatically force the
preparation of info pages on accepted formats but at present doesn't. So
these centres would be largely out of our hair, in that we would not
have to perform the added job of asking (and then asking again) for the
pages to appear.

Hoping that the modification is acceptable and looking forward to your
potential comments,

    Piotr