[Standards] feedback and Days 2 and 3

Piotr Banski banski at ids-mannheim.de
Tue Oct 6 00:23:34 CEST 2020

Dear all,

I have presented the slides I sent earlier (after a few little fixes;
the current version is now available from the conference site) and got 2
items of feedback from Martin Matthiesen. One concerns "wrapper
formats", such as .zip/.gz/.bz2 (etc.) which we have only discussed in
passing, I believe. Apparently, not all of them treat Unicode in the
same manner, which is new to me and I haven't perhaps understood Martin
fully (maybe he meant some other archival utilities that aren't fully
Unicode-friendly), but we are invited to get back to the issue with him
and this goes especially for those of us who have dealt with these
formats/encodings used for submissions to their centres and maybe share
Martin's experiences . For now, I want to make sure that the issue is
not lost, by mentioning it here.

Another thing that Martin mentioned was that he (vaguely) recalls that
the Kielipankki Language Bank getting the request for more explicit
information about the recommended formats, but he was not sure about the
outcome. Perhaps we could ask Jussi to pilot this issue?

Day 2 features something called Social Networking Lunch at 11
(conveniently located right after Dieter's State of the Infrastructure
presentation at 10). "Hope was expressed" that further discussion on
issues raised during the Committee presentations may be taken up there.
I have no idea what form the lunch is going to take, but I'll try to be
there just in case, and I encourage you to pop by as well.

cf.
https://www.clarin.eu/content/programme-clarin-annual-conference-2020#day-2

Day 3 features the Bazaar, from 14:50 until 15:50. Please kindly
consider visiting our committee "stall".

Thanks to those members who were present during our "pitch" (even if you
were there for independent reasons as well :-)), and I hope to see you
all at the upcoming CAC-2020 events.

Best regards,

    Piotr