[Standards] recommendation on glottolog codes?

Sebastian Drude sdrude at hi.is
Wed May 24 17:49:50 CEST 2017

Thanks Dieter, and hi, all.

Indeed, I am involved in TC37 SC2, and actually leading the task force in WG1 to develop ISO/AWI 21636 <https://www.iso.org/standard/71300.html>  (a technical document rather than a standard, as it is not yet implemented anywhere, although a CMDI profile has been drafted).

This is to be a framework for describing inner-language variation, in particular identifying the dimensions of linguistic variation and recognizing them as in principle independent. That means, each instance of language use and each element in a language resource are a point in a multi-dimensional space.  The dimensions we are proposing are:

1)     space (dialects etc.),

2)     time (periods, epochs, etc.),

3)     medium (e.g., oral/multimodal, written, …),

4)     social space (sociolects, jargons, …),

5)     [formality of] situation (registers),

6)     person (individual varieties),

7)     proficiency (learners interlanguage stages)

8)     performance peculiarities (for stutter, lisping etc.)

The new technical document will only cover the dimensions, NOT the values for each language in each dimension, so it does NOT attempt to cover any specific dialects of any language.

For that, Glottolog would be a point to start, although its coverage of language-internal variation is generally speaking (and admittedly:  <http://glottolog.org/glottolog/glottologinformation#dialects> “[…] we spent little effort on making dialect classifications consistent and on providing references for dialects.”) rather weak. Multitree is sometimes better (some resource represented in Multitree, that is), but lacks a well-established system for persistent identifiers and good justifications for dialect/language distinctions, among other things.

Of course, in an ideal world there would be a comprehensive database where also dialects and varieties in other dimensions could be easily registered and get a persistent code, and CLARIN, for one, would be an institution that would have enough standing and recognition to host and promote such a database, as would possibly the LinguistList or a small number of other networks or institutions, but at this point I do not see any institution, including CLARIN and its members and centres, willing to commit to set up and maintain such a system which needs quite some work – technical support as well as a revision process backed by a competent panel.

For languages (not varieties such as dialects etc.), I think a combination of ISO and Glottolog is the best what we can recommend at this time.

Given the well strengthened role of SIL and the US-stakeholders in ISO, I fear it will be hard to get any official recognition for Glottolog within the ISO framework, but if anyone has a good suggestion about how to go about it, I would be delighted to support this.

These are my comments on this…

Sebastian

--

Sebastian Drude, Director

The Vigdís International Centre for Multilingualism and Intercultural Understanding

The University of Iceland – Brynjolfsgata 1 – 107 Reykjavík – Iceland

Email sdrude at hi.is – Phone +354 695.6784