[Standards] recommendation on glottolog codes?

Piotr Bański banski at ids-mannheim.de
Mon May 8 17:25:03 CEST 2017

Dear Dieter and All,

This is just a minor update.
I am waiting for some news from ISO/DIN on the status of Glottolog
within ISO, the more so that I have encountered this Accepted Work Item:

https://www.iso.org/standard/71300.html   " Identification and
description of language varieties"

This item must be relatively fresh, or else the ISO process, especially
in its newer form, would recycle it. And the title suggests a potential
connection with Glottolog, but at this point, unfortunately, an average
Web user hits the wall, so I am trying to drill through it :-)

In the meantime, a way to explain why I wish to do this ISO check has
occurred to me: there is a potential analogy with ISO 639-3 here. That
specification stems from the set of Ethnologue codes and is a refinement
over them (cleaned up, corrected, placed in an updateable setting). We
wouldn't want to recommend Ethnologue given the existence of 639-3. My
instinct concerning Glottolog vs. the putative new ISO spec is similar,
although I also believe that Glottolog started out much cleaner and more
straightforwardly documented than Ethnologue, and the persons to credit
are easy to name, in this case. Still, if it's going to get a stamp of
approval from a committee of experts, together with a specification of
the technicalities necessary to reference them, we will end up much
better off recommending that end of the process.

Best regards,

   Piotr