[Userinvolvement] response from CLARIN to the COVID-19 dynamics

Jong, F.M.G. de (Franciska) f.m.g.dejong at uu.nl
Fri Mar 27 15:04:21 CET 2020

Dear National Coordinators, members of the User Involvement committee and CLARIN ambassadors,

Hopefully you receive this email in good health.

As most research infrastructures and national infrastructural consortia, we are approached on a regular basis with the question if CLARIN can contribute data and/or services in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are currently working on an overview of elements in our value proposition that could be articulated more in the context of the current pandemic.

One obvious thing to do is to start working on an overview of medical resources: corpora, vocabularies, domain-specific tools for analysis, etc. Other resource types that could be put in focus are textual data from social media platforms and news channels, and mediated discourse material, such as political speeches, blogs, debates and dialogues. The input from the national CLARIN consortia would be very welcome.

All information on (readily available) data sets and tools that might prove useful in this context would be warmly welcomed. Particularly tools and data that would underline the support for multilinguality or that could be of use to analyze the CORD-19 corpus (https://pages.semanticscholar.org/coronavirus-research) would be of interest. Additionally, ideas on secondary NLP-supported research on this topic (e.g. fake news and misinformation detection) are also welcome.
Please get in touch with us via email and/or list what you think should be integrated in this table:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RJGq8lqIi_SnfNJRuxH0DKYWI-F9gLYcnTwOYF0eAWI/edit#gid=0

We aim to develop an agenda for the support of these activities and/or collaboration in the coming weeks. If you have any ideas or suggestions for facilitating researchers and (interdisciplinary) collaboration (e.g. virtual hackathons, shared tasks), do let us know.

Please also note the adjustment of the call for event funding by CLARIN that aims to encourage our community to organize virtual outreach events (published yesterday):
https://www.clarin.eu/news/clarin-funding-virtual-events

More than ever we wish you all the best, both in your personal lives and your professional activities.

Also on behalf of my fellow BoD members,

Franciska

--
Prof. dr. Franciska de Jong  | Universiteit Utrecht | Executive Director CLARIN ERIC | www.clarin.eu| phone: +31 6 51998450 | email: f.m.g.dejong at uu.nl<mailto:f.m.g.dejong at uu.nl>