[Userinvolvement] Exploring newspaper collections: call for suggestions of resources

Martin Wynne martin.wynne at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 30 16:05:02 CEST 2016

Dear all,

For the forthcoming CLARIN-PLUS workshop
(https://www.clarin.eu/event/2016/clarin-plus-workshop-working-digital-collections-newspapers),
we will present a demonstration of how language resources and tools can
be used to explore newspapers.  I would like to invite you all to make
suggestions for online interfaces which can do this, in any language.

The main audience for this will be the non-linguists present, who might
not know what is currently possible with existing LRTs. The session will
aim to provoke a discussion about the possibilities, and ways forward.
Suggestions do not need to represent the latest ground-breaking advances
- straightforward interfaces to explore concordances, collocations, etc.
would be perfectly suitable.

Preferably, the online resource would be branded as a CLARIN service,
but that is not essential, since the main point will be to show what is
possible. The key point will be to show how a newspaper collection can
be treated as a linguistic corpus, and explored with corpus linguistic
methods and tools, but pointers to other forms of analysis and
visualization are also welcome.

Best wishes,
Martin

--