[Userinvolvement] Supporting citation

Thorsten Trippel thorsten.trippel at uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Oct 2 13:34:04 CEST 2015

Hi all,

thanks for the constructive discussion. And thanks for pointing out "the
obvious": that's what I mean, not all repositories have a box like that.
Lindat is the positive example on how to help the user cite their data.

Looking at

"Branco, António, 2014, Nexing Corpus, LINDAT/CLARIN digital library at
Institute of Formal and Applied Linguistics, Charles University in
Prague, http://hdl.handle.net/11372/LRT-386."
shows a couple of implications:

1. including the name of the repository: if the repository contains
LINDAT/CLARIN (here: LINDAT/CLARIN digital library at Institute of
Formal and Applied Linguistics) then it is obvious to spot. Hence it
seems to be advisable to select a repository name that contains it.

2. the handle is an actionable PID, even those users unfamiliar with the
handle system will know that this is "some kind of website" and we can
cross our fingers that they will use it.

3. the part "LINDAT/CLARIN digital library at Institute of Formal and
Applied Linguistics" is not in the CMDI file, but is obviously hard
coded in the citation box generation routine. I wonder if this is
physically the same instance as the LINDAT centre or if the CLARIN
centre and the library can be independent. The name is not the same as
in the centre registry, as far as I can tell.

4, the generated BibTeX entry
  @misc{11372/LRT-386,
  title = {Nexing Corpus},
  url = {http://hdl.handle.net/11372/LRT-386},
  note = {{LINDAT}/{CLARIN} digital library at Institute of Formal and
Applied Linguistics, Charles University in Prague},
  year  {2014} }

does not contain the reference to Antonio, who is coded as
dc.contributor.other on the website and olac:contributor in the LINDAT
CMDI. BibTeX only allows authors or editors, so he could only become a
note (sorry Antonio if you read this...)

5. If I understand you @Pavel and @Martin correctly your suggestion for
citation is

[AUTHOR|Editor|contributor], Publication year, [Resource Title|Resource
Name|DC Title], Name of repository, institution of repository, PID.

6. My suggestion would be slightly different:

The name of the repository would be replaced by: "distributed by the
CLARIN centre [name of the CLARIN centre as in the centre registry]"

advantage: standard and consistent naming with the CLARIN centre name,
so even those centres that do not have CLARIN in their name (Huygens,
Meertens, IDS, MPI, CMU; National Library of Norway, Oxford Text Archive
to name some prominent examples) would be CLARINified in the reference;
also if one centre operates more than one repository, it would still
reference the centre, not the repository.

disadvantage: Douplication for those who have it "distributed by the
CLARIN centre CLARIN Norway|CLARIN-PL Language Technology Centre...."

However, I think that we are getting to some ideas on how to cite data
in CLARIN and these will help the Copenhagen-group to count such
publications in their impact counts. The more consistent we are, the
easier it will be to users utilizing resources from different
institutions and/or those crawling for citations.

@Martin, how should we proceed from here? Of course waiting for "the
others" to contribute, but should we forward this as a suggestion to the
standards committee? And the centres committee to suggest that the
"Citation box" could be integrated by all repositories?

Cheers

Thorsten

///////// Dr. Thorsten Trippel   thorsten.trippel at uni-tuebingen.de
    //     Seminar für Sprachwissenschaft
   //  //  Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen
  //  //   Office:  Wilhelmstr. 19 #2.17
     //    Phone:   +49 (0)7071-29-77352
///////// Federal Republic of Germany