[Userinvolvement] Supporting citation

Martin Wynne martin.wynne at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 1 16:56:27 CEST 2015

Dear all,

One of the suggestions at the User Involvement meeting last month was
that repositories should make it easy for users to cite CLARIN resources
that they have accessed and used. It was thought that this would be
encourage use of CLARIN resources, and and help measure usage of resources.

I promised to make a recommendation to the Centres Committee, which I
have done in an email, but Dieter would like some more details of the
requirements, and some examples of good practice in this area.

I think that the most important requirements are:
- to provide text on the landing page for a resource giving guidance to
users on how to cite resources (e.g. fragments of text for them to copy
and paste);
- make sure that there are persistent identifiers for online resources,
that can be cited in publications and which will remain valid;
- to inform users that citing the resources that they use is important
for the ongoing sustainability of the resources.

For examples of good practice I have found the following, which provide
a fragment of text that can be pasted into a document (although the
British History one is only a URL not a handle or DOI):

- https://lindat.mff.cuni.cz/repository/xmlui/handle/11372/LRT-386

-
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/cal-state-papers/domestic/edw-eliz/addenda/1547-65/p554

Are there other requirements, and more examples? For example, would
links to index resources on Zotero be useful?

Please send any comments of suggestions to the list, or to me and I will
summarize.

Best wishes,
Martin

--