[Tf-curation] Next CMDI / curation meeting: 28 October

Twan Goosen twan at clarin.eu
Thu Oct 24 13:35:30 CEST 2019

Hi all,

As promised in my previous e-mail, I have prepared a working document
for the CMDI strategy. Essentially it's a skeleton + some summarised
ideas and sketches with some of my personal suggestions added, but
essentially still very much open ended. The final aim obviously is not
to create yet another document but I think it's helpful to have a place
to collect ideas and structure our strategy discussion :)

Find the doc here:
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cRJKiise8HFS16gqG4gC3TsI0W-TnLSnebh_YS6mZ3U/edit?usp=sharing>

As you will see, I have (tentatively) divided the document in a couple
of sections that roughly can be taken as subsequent steps towards a
concrete strategy/plan:
- analysis of current state
- definition of goals
- creation of a work plan for high priority tasks

Although I think we shouldn't put _too_ much time into any of these
preparatory phases (we all like to be pragmatic and prefer to do 'real
work' for good reasons :)), I think it would be helpful to start
structuring existing ideas, criticisms and other previous discussion
points into a set of strenghts, weaknesses, opportunities and threats
regarding the current metadata approach/practices/operations in CLARIN.
That would be the content of the 'analysis' section. That should
hopefully help in defining some prioritised goals (next section); then
finally if we can then translate these into a working plan for the next
year or so I think we should have something that we can call a strategy :)

Especially the first step (the analysis) is probably better prepared
'asynchronous' than collectively from scratch during the meeting. So for
those planning to attend and/or willing to provide input: if you have
some time to prepare, then please add any thoughts or comments you may
have on this into that section of the document. If you already have
ideas for the goals section, you can also make suggestions there as well
of course. We can discuss this input during the meeting and try to
finalise the analysis and goals, and as far as I'm concerned also skip
ahead a bit already and talk about concrete tasks so that we don't
completely get stuck in the analysis phase.

Regarding concrete tasks: thus far there already seems to be consensus
that one of the initial high priority ones is going to be the definition
of some 'core' components and profile(s) aimed at providing broad
metadata needs and some common resource types/use cases. I started
drafting a proposal based on previous input and discussion as well;
currently it is far from complete and very much in need of input from
others so if you're interested you can already have a look at
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/12xBfAzrBChY1HT-aQTzdcGv1yxtCgYpDxGZRNcqFmoc/edit?usp=sharing>.

I have also refined the agenda of the meeting a little bit. See
<https://trac.clarin.eu/wiki/Taskforces/CMDI/Meeting20191028>. Any
suggestions for additional agenda points are welcome of course. Hope to
see many of you on Monday!

Best,
Twan

--