[Tf-curation] curation-related request about the Nederlands Instituut voor Beeld en Geluid Academia collectie

Odijk, J.E.J.M. (Jan) j.odijk at uu.nl
Wed Mar 7 10:59:37 CET 2018

Dear Dieter,

I had a brief look at this. I am a bit hesitant to have them removed them from the VLO.

Though it is true that these records lead to a lot of Dutch-language values for the facet ‘Subject’, I believe that ‘subject’ is not suited as a facet with a restricted number of values. Currently there are more than 51k possible values, and it is unlikely that this will decrease. Taking out the Academia collection will not really solve this problem. One should see this facet as facet for string search in the values of a limited number of fields, not really as a facet with restricted values or a small number of values

I see many values that are in different languages than English, including German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese (or Japanese?), codes that are incomprehensible without a legend (e.g. sh85091588),  and some of these are complete phrases or even sentences, so perhaps it is better to reconsider this facet.

One possible approach, which might somewhat solve the problem you mention, it appears to me, could be to mark all fields from which the subject facet is derived for the language they are in, and make use of that fact so that users can search for strings in a particular language. Such an addition to the Academia records could be done fully automatically (since all are in Dutch), or it could be added at the curation level. How difficult it is to do this automatically for metadata from other origins I do not know.