[Tf-aai] Blacklisting IdPs: A proposal

Jozef Misutka misutka at ufal.mff.cuni.cz
Fri Nov 22 09:09:30 CET 2019

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 at 17:11, Martin Matthiesen <martin.matthiesen at csc.fi>
wrote:

> Dear Taskforce,
>
> I'd like some feedback on the proposal, also positive comments are
> appreciated. This issue will be discussed on the next SCCTC VC 11.12.
>
> Regards,
> Martin
>
> --
> Martin Matthiesen
> CSC - Tieteen tietotekniikan keskus
> CSC - IT Center for Science
> PL 405, 02101 Espoo, Finland
> +358 9 457 2376, martin.matthiesen at csc.fi
> Public key :
> https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x74B12876FD890704
> Fingerprint: AA25 6F56 5C9A 8B42 009F  BA70 74B1 2876 FD89 0704

Firstly, thank you for the proposal Martin.

We should distinguish 2 cases in blacklisting. Firstly, those that are a
security risk (e.g., those that allow for unverified users) and those that
do have issues with attribute release.

Security villains:
- do not include in the feed
- hence, not included in discovery
- marginal priority: mention it somewhere

Attribute release villains:
- include in the feed
- include in discovery with red flag/background/logo of a villain with a
warning that using it might result in failed login (not because of our
problem) and a link pointing to (see below)
- medium priority: mention it somewhere

Nobody will read long text on https://discovery.clarin.eu/, I would put
there a big button - [I cannot login] that will go to a new page describing
the issues.
I would put your text there, the list of villains but rephrase it with the
following notes:
- I suppose most users will go for low hanging fruit = CLARIN IdP rather
than bother with the University so that should be the first option (we are
here primarily for the users and not to fight AAI battles)
- not in SPF is not equally bad as attribute release and moreover, the user
can do more (theoretically) with attribute release

I suggest to create a google doc that can be commented with the above text.

Best,
Jozef