[Tf-aai] Some comments about Andrés report and developments in Finland

Martin Matthiesen martin.matthiesen at csc.fi
Mon Feb 5 16:50:41 CET 2018

Hello André,

Thanks for the memo, I thought it was interesting, especially:

> 2. ~11% of eduGAIN IdPs now have embedded the R&S entity category.

Most of our SPs are released through DFN-AAI to eduGAIN and are marked as R&S, this is good news for us.

> 3. As usual eduGAIN did some resonable progress in terms of country memberships
> and IdP coverage. The focus has now changed from federation menbership to try
> to aproach 100% IdP participation within each federation. This sounds great for
> us.

This was indeed interesting and I think it is a reasonable step.

Maybe members of this list are interested to know that we in Finland will no longer register CLARIN SPs via Haka, but rely on eduGAIN for Metadata distribution. This solves several practical problems and introduces only a few new ones. From our consortium only the Jyväskylä IdP would need to join eduGAIN, all other universities can already connect to all CLARIN SPs via eduGAIN. Instead of putting a lot of unfunded work into making Metadata transfer from SPF to Haka smoother, we can actually concentrate on helping the remaining universities to join eduGAIN. Finland are by no means leave the SPF, we try to achieve its goals by different means.

Regards,
Martin

--
Martin Matthiesen
CSC - Tieteen tietotekniikan keskus
+358 9 457 2376, martin.matthiesen at csc.fi
Public key : https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x74B12876FD890704
Fingerprint: AA25 6F56 5C9A 8B42 009F  BA70 74B1 2876 FD89 0704