[Standards] Utrecht -- cancellation of the meeting

Piotr Banski banski at ids-mannheim.de
Thu Mar 12 22:48:13 CET 2020

Dear all,

Given the overall wave of reactions to the coronavirus pandemia, and
given the warnings from some of the participants who have registered for
the meeting that they are either considering cancellation, or may be
forced by their institutions to cancel, and given also the news that the
Utrecht University actively discourages all kinds of meetings on its
venues, I am absolutely unhappy to announce that the upcoming CSC
hands-on meeting in Utrecht has been cancelled.

At this moment, I do not suggest holding a virtual meeting in its place
on the same date(s), (a) because the whole point was about locking
ourselves up in one area and not leaving until we deliver and (b)
because given the pace at which the institutional and political
reactions to the pandemia proceed, I believe that not everyone will be
in either the mood or the state to talk about parameters for standards
description and the like.

This is not to say that, as a committee, we should switch to idle gear.
There are enough tasks that we can perform in the meantime, at least
partially in preparation for a better date of the hands-on. But I will
postpone these suggestions to a later message -- this one is already a
big enough information pill.

With best regards and a heavy heart,

    Piotr

--