[Standards] new ISO document available

Piotr Banski banski at ids-mannheim.de
Wed Jul 8 05:07:54 CEST 2020

Dear all,

After a few rounds of correspondence with the DIN and ISO Secretariat, I
have prepared the first of ISO TC37 SC4 standards for distribution
within CLARIN. I have been discouraged from posting it to this or any
other mailing list, and I have tried to take some precautions to
guarantee that the terms of the liaison can be obeyed.

It is not clear to me how "exclusive distribution within CLARIN" can
work or whether it's feasible at all, and since the purpose of
distributing this very standard version is simple ("readability" issues)
and the deadline for feedback is very close (26 July), I simply prepared
a dedicated page in the developer wiki, which has some access
restrictions and carries a promise that whoever accesses it may/should
be a CLARIN researcher. If that works now, it will hopefully also work
in the future, maybe with some tweaks.

Please consider relaying this information to those of your CLARIN
colleagues who you think may be interested in the topic and in providing
feedback.

The page
https://trac.clarin.eu/wiki/ISO_TC37SC4_Standards_in_preparation
contains a link to, and a description of, a new ISO TC37 SC4 WG6
standard in preparation: ISO/CD 24623-2:2020 Language resource
management — Corpus query lingua franca (CQLF) — Part 2: Ontology.

This version is shared on a short notice (it came into existence only
yesterday afternoon, freshly after the implementation of the resolutions
of this year's ISO Conference, and it needs to be shipped out to the
Secretariat at the end of July), so no ISO table of comments is attached
and instead, Stefan Evert and I (the project leaders) ask for direct
feedback on whether this version reads well and is clear enough.

We will distribute another version of this standard when it has been
processed by the ISO Secretariat and when a DIS (Draft International
Standard) ballot is opened for it, later this year.

In the meantime, Andreas Witt (the official ISO liaison) and I will be
grateful for your remarks on how this sharing process can possibly be
improved. One idea that I have for standards that are going to be
distributed during ballots is to provide a direct link to a google doc
containing the ISO table of comments -- CLARIN should provide feedback
to the standardization process lest the liaison is terminated, and
having official remarks in the official table of comments should take
care of that.

With thanks in advance and wishing those interested in the topic a fun read,

    Piotr