[Standards] professional profiles (FYI and a possible action point)

Piotr Bański banski at ids-mannheim.de
Mon Sep 25 16:20:24 CEST 2017

Hello again.

My previous message accidentally contained a link to the entire D 5.3
deliverable on Best Practices, so this time let me provide a link to a
directory of individual CLARIN+ deliverables:

https://www.clarin.eu/content/clarin-plus-deliverables

One of them is D5.3-5 on "Professional profiles for typical CLARIN
infrastructure functions
<https://office.clarin.eu/v/CE-2016-0879-CLARINPLUS-D5_3-5-professionalprofiles.pdf>".
In it, a profile of a national representative for Standards Committee is
specified, as follows:

"Preferably, this representative should be a person with experience on
using standards when working with language resources in a broad sense. A
broad knowledge about the standards used in various research fields is
desirable, but is not necessary as long as the person is interested in
learning more about the different standards used in the CLARIN community
and the CMDI-framework."

The above is for your information. I am wondering if the fact that this
profile has been defined for the CLARIN landscape can provide a basis
for an extension of the CSC membership to include representatives of
national partners not yet represented in the CSC.

I'll be happy to know your opinion on this.

A brief look at the CSC member list suggests that we have
representatives from Austria, Denmark, the Netherlands, Estonia,
Finland, Germany, Greece, Latvia, and Slovenia.

I am not sure about Italy, the Czech Republic, and the Dutch Language
Union, and will e-mail Monica, Pavel and Ineke, to ask them to confirm
their participation.

If I understand correctly, we definitely do not have an official
representative from:

* Bulgaria,

* Hungary,

* Lithuania,

* Norway (I am not sure if Koenraad would be willing to take on this
additional function, given his existing commitments),

* Poland (despite appearances ;-)),

* Portugal, and

* Sweden.

(Add to this France and the UK, who have the status of observers).

I am not sure if we want to take action at this very point. It might be
better to first establish the list of fields of competence, so that the
prospective new representatives of national consortia would already know
how they might fit in.

Your reaction and comments will be very welcome.

Best regards,

   Piotr

--
Piotr Bański, Ph.D.