[Standards] URGENT: namespace strings, vote on whether I can forward the proposal to the BoD

Piotr Banski banski at ids-mannheim.de
Fri Oct 20 17:12:49 CEST 2017

Dear all,

I have just been in a long web conference meeting of the DIN mirror of
ISO TC37SC4, where the committee secretary made it very clear that due
to several past delays in processing SC4 standards and due to the recent
change of ISO procedures (shortened deadlines for the delivery of
standards) and due to the most recent hiccup concerning the need to
change the namespace strings in standards that are currently being
submitted for publication, the need for potential clarin.eu-based
namespace strings has become very urgent and the ISO process will
automatically delete the standards in question (among them SynAF part 2,
up till recently called "ISO Tiger" but now rebranded not to use the
"ISO" in the name) if they don't go into publication. And they can't go
into publication without a namespace string. It would be good for CLARIN
to snatch at the opportunity to turn this into a general procedure and
at the same time become present in the ISO universe.

In order to meet this narrowed deadline, I would like to suggest that we
take an e-mail ballot over the suggestion formulated in

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uFw8VSohE3H24LE-mkUTbsLayTWQr-NHkHVCvekVyG4/edit#

To recap, the aim is to provide the CSC with a space for defining
namespaces, based on the string "http://clarin.eu/standards/". In the
particular case of TC37SC4, the base for the namespace string would be
extended to "http://clarin.eu/standards/tc37sc4/", with postfixes
depending on the particular family of standards. The ballot is not meant
to confirm this exact case, but rather to allow me to forward this
proposal to the BoD as a committee proposal. If the BoD accepts, SC4
would get green light and submit a concrete proposal to the CSC, which
we could then discuss and approve or reject. Naturally SC4 counts on the
former and on a quick decision, but let me stress that the urgency of
this very message has nothing to do with the salesman strategy of making
you buy quickly, because the product runs out in a minute, but rather to
push faster through the bureaucracy, with the expectation that the
concrete cases will be presented to us for the final yea or nay. We're
not deciding the ISO case yet, we're opening a CSC facility for deciding
such cases (and the ISO case was used above as an example of a concrete
way to proceed).

Unless someone protests this, I would like to proceed in the *nix way,
i.e. to treat silence as agreement. I would also like to propose
Wednesday 20:00 CEST as the deadline for discussion and vetoes, after
which I would hopefully forward the proposal to the BoD the same night.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and participation.

With best regards,

   Piotr

--
Piotr Bański, Ph.D.