[Standards] namespace proposal status and the ISO request

Piotr Bański banski at ids-mannheim.de
Wed Nov 29 00:29:06 CET 2017

Dear all,

I have received good news on the status of the proposal concerning
namespace regulation (it has been -- I am told -- accepted by the BoD,
and I am to receive some formal confirmation of that soonish), and a
repeated plea from the ISO colleagues for the namespace string for the
SynAF 2 specification, a draft of which i have placed in the clarin wiki
in case you would like to consult it:

https://trac.clarin.eu/wiki/StandardsCommittee#Namespaces

Please treat it as confidential (this is why I do not attach it here,
and why I will remove the file from the wiki after a while, namely when
the relevant information for the public HTML page has been agreed on).

In the meantime, (and this is not off-topic) I consulted Dieter on the
issue of the move of the Standards Information System from the IDS to
the clarin.eu domain, and technicalities and further local consultation
aside, the result is that the code is going to be served from the IDS
via a reverse proxy from clarin.eu. (This is a single sentence but the
process took some aligning of various positions.)

I have negotiated with the SynAF editor various versions of the
namespace string to be proposed, while trying to take into consideration
the path from/to which the Standards Information System is going to be
proxied. As a result, I would like to ask you to accept the following
proposal, which will be accompanied by a summary from the introduction
to the SynAF 2 specification:

http://clarin.eu/standards/ns/synaf

(the idea here being that http://clarin.eu/standards/ would be our root
directory in the clarin.eu domain, and ns/ would be a subdirectory for
all the namespaces, while other possible subdirectories would
potentially serve for other purposes).

You will surely recall that this issue was urgent, and I am guilty of a
delay because of my intensive weekly conference stay in Canada and a
crazy jet-lag/narcolepsy week that followed it. I am hoping for your
understanding in setting the deadline for vetoes to Friday morning, so
that I could confirm the string to the ISO secretariat still this week,
because that is apparently the only thing that prevents the spec from
entering a further step, at the danger of a cancellation. I would dearly
like to avoid looping with the ISO colleagues /this week/ on the precise
text to be published at the resolved URL, but I trust that the presence
of the draft document is proof enough that the text can be constructed
by the time that the relevant HTML page is up.

Summing up (and apologies for the length of this message):

* Please kindly agree to allow ISO TC37 SC4 to use the string
"http://clarin.eu/standards/ns/synaf" as the namespace in the upcoming
SynAF 2 standard, a draft of which is (confidentially) made available at
the CLARIN wiki.

* I will consider the proposal accepted if no vetoes are communicated to
this list until Friday morning (10 a.m. CET), and I will then forward
the decision to the ISO Secretariat.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and best regards,

    Piotr