[Standards] recommendation on glottolog codes?

Dieter Van Uytvanck dieter at clarin.eu
Mon May 8 17:43:56 CEST 2017

(trying to answer 2 mails at the same time, as 2 external participants
are added)

On 05/05/2017 10:42, Piotr Bański wrote:

> Now, turning to the matter at hand directly. With both the name of
> Martin Haspelmath and institutions such as SIL International and MPI
> Jena in the background, and given the scale of the work behind
> Glottolog, I personally share Dieter's sentiment, although as a
> Committee, I guess we should better use a documented process for that,
> and in the best of worlds, I would love to see that process pushed onto
> ISO, and us giving a stamp of approval to a proposal that would already
> be part of an ISO track (even if it were in the early stages of the ISO
> process, with all the question marks entailed by that). With my ISO hat
> on, I just can't imagine that no ISO activity would be taking place in
> this regard, unless TC37 SC2 is in deep slumber.
> @Committee: Do we have anyone here with a direct channel to TC37 SC2
> open, please?

[on  ISO/AWI 21636  = https://www.iso.org/standard/71300.html]

I believe Sebastian (in CC) knows more about this.

> @Dieter: would you be willing to share the use case that prompted the
> question? Or was it just general musing, given the existence of Glottolog?

Jeannine Beeken (CESSDA) asked what the status was of the "old" CLARIN
recommendations on language codes: using ISO-639-3 and ISO-639-1.

I answered that these recommendations still hold, but that in certain
cases there might be no suitable ISO-639-3 code. In such cases glottolog
might be an alternative I suggested, with the promise to check with our
standards committee.

Now ISO/AWI 21636 might also be an alternative, but that depends on the
status - I'm sure Sebastian can comment.

best regards,
--
Dieter Van Uytvanck
Technical Director CLARIN ERIC