[Standards] recommendation on glottolog codes?

Penny Labropoulou penny at ilsp.gr
Fri May 5 10:53:58 CEST 2017

Dear Piotr, Dieter and all,
Since we are talking about language standards, I would recommend also checking the BCP 47 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47), which concatenates the use of ISO 639 (but favours ISO 639-1 and resorts to 639-3 if there's no code for the language in question) with script, region and variant codes. I see it more and more in use by various researchers and projects.
Having said that, since there is a one-to-one mapping between these values, there shouldn't be a problem. For those languages that have a code only in glottology, of course, glottology should be recommended.
Best,
Penny