[Standards] CSC space at GitHub

Piotr Bański banski at ids-mannheim.de
Tue Jan 24 23:59:51 CET 2017

Dear All,

I have made the CSC space at GitHub public, with some initial goodies
for a good beginning.

https://github.com/clarin-eric/standards

So far, the repository contains the code for the Standards Information
System (the production version that is running off an IDS server and
should eventually move to clarin.eu). I have confirmed that it can be
run off a working copy, on your desktop (it requires eXist). The
installation instructions are part of the documentation at
https://github.com/clarin-eric/standards/wiki

I envision a lot more work done before the next CLARIN conference, and
the GitHub space offers to us some infrastructure for keeping the goals
in sight and collaborating on reaching them.

The SIS is an end-point of the roadmap towards a maintainable and
unified list of standards. I have done some progress with a position
paper narrating in greater detail and more orderly the story that I
shared with you in Aix, with quite some improvements, also thanks to
your feedback.

We can all define tasks in the repository space (in terms of issue
tickets), and these tasks can be organized into projects. I have defined
two initial projects. One of them will be the locus of the dynamicity
that we need for the kind of approach to the standards that we have
discussed (introducing new ones, deprecating or re-classifying others,
etc.).

While I work on the narrative, may I ask you to share with me your
GitHub user names, so that I could add you to the repository?
Incidentally, if we all participate in the GitHub space, that can be a
good, bottom-up complement to the static list of Committee members,
which I think is still incomplete
(https://www.clarin.eu/governance/standards-committee ).

Let me finish by wishing you all a successful year (while it's still
January and arguably not too late for that ;-))

Best regards,

   Piotr

--
Piotr Bański, Ph.D.