[Standards] Jan Odijk's draft on interoperability

Francesca Frontini francescafrontini at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 19:21:24 CET 2017

Hi Piotr, all,

I've taken a look at this very interesting document; thanks to Piotr for
sharing and of course to Jan for writing it!

I am now a member of the Clarin-fr team and the designated person to follow
the Standard Committee and interoperability activities.
I don't know whether there has been a discussion on this in a face to face
meetings I haven't attended, but here are some remarks from my part.

- I am not sure as to the status of RDF as level 4 ( in the same way as for
instance CONLL-U, ...);  RDF alone is to me more like Docx or XML, in the
sense that without further specification (=unless you specify the model and
vocabulary you follow) you do not know what kind of information you are
going to find inside (a corpus?, a lexicon?...), and how it is structured.
CONLL-U is different, since you know it will be a parsed text and you know
the semantics of each column.

- The object of the proposed evaluation are "tools and applications in
CLARIN":  this is potentially quite a broad class of objects (institutions
often repurpose and re-brand existing tools on entering a CLARIN national
consortium).  Of course the suggested framework may be applied to any tool
or application, but a good place to start could be those tools and services
that are submitted by centers as a part of their B assessment, as well as
those that are explicitly mentioned on the <clarin.eu> website.

All the best and a Happy New Year to you all.

Francesca