[Standards] EPIC vs. Handle?

Andreas Witt witt at ids-mannheim.de
Tue Oct 29 20:35:42 CET 2013

Hi Tomaz,

In addition to the information from Menzo I hereby send some remarks
from my colleague Oliver Schonefeld:

"First of all, the underlaying technology is more or less the same.
It's the Handle persistent identifier framework by CNRI documented in
RFC3650, RFC3651 and RFC2652.
EPIC is a consortium of GWDG (DE), SARA (NL) and CSC (FI), that has
agreed to run the required services for handle resolution and handle
management for the "European Research Community".

Your choice is now: do you want to use the services provided by EPIC
or get an own handle prefix and run the required services yourself.

Here my, rather subjective list of Pros and cons.

EPIC:
- Pro:
  - services are run by someone for you
  - management services and API are available (EPIC API Version 1 and 2)
- Con:
  - shared handle prefix => you cannot take your handles and go to a
    different service (or decide to run the services yourself)
  - (still) sometimes technical issues (availability, speed)
  - unclear/undefined business model

Own handle server
- Pro:
  - own prefix => greater flexibility; you may also outsource, if you
    find a provider
- Cons:
  - you have to take care of the required technical infrastructure
    yourself (setting up and maintaining handle server)
  - you are either bound to Handle-System's management API or need to
    build your own wrapper

Theoretically, the EPIC API Version 2 foresees managing multiple
prefixes, but it's unclear to me, in how far that is available now. If
so, one could, if not happy with EPIC, take their prefix and go host
it oneself (or find a different provider).

Running the handle infrastructure within EPIC certainly costs money,
but AFAIK currently they don't charge. However, there is no clear
business model and eventually (e.g. if CLARIN [and other sources of
money] do not or cannot subsidize them anymore), they need to come up
with the required money to run, maintain and develop the EPIC
services.

The decision to acquire a handle prefix and run one's own handle
server should also not be taken lightly. It requires a certain amount
of commitment and, of course, some technical skills are required to
operate an handle server."

Best,
Andreas