[Standards] EPIC vs. Handle?

Menzo Windhouwer Menzo.Windhouwer at mpi.nl
Tue Oct 29 16:27:15 CET 2013

Hi, Tomaz,

Handles are recommended, but AKAIK also other PID systems are allowed.
Handles is one specific PID system (see [1] for a comparison of PID
systems from the CLARIN preparatory phase). You can run your own Handle
server, i.e., you get a prefix from handle.net and manage your own
suffixes (which is what some CLARIN centers, including the MPI, do), or
you can use the EPIC API to create and manage handles (which also many
CLARIN centers do). Notice version 2 of the EPIC API allows you to still
have an own prefix, which is good if you handles have to move for some
future reason.

more information on the experiences of other CLARIN centers on managing
their own handle server or using EPIC.

Hope this helps,

Menzo Windhouwer

[1] http://www.clarin.eu/sites/default/files/wg2-2-pid-doc-v4.pdf
--
The Language Archive - tla.mpi.nl
Max-Planck-Institute for Psycholinguistics