[Dev] Shibboleth sandbox VM

Twan Goosen twan at clarin.eu
Fri Jun 13 16:19:26 CEST 2014

Dear developers,

For a project I'm currently working on (continued development of the
CLARIN Virtual Collection Registry, actually) I needed a shibboleth
testing environment to see how the application behaves in a Shibboleth
setup. Because I did not have an existing setup available to me, I
deployed a fresh Shibboleth SP and IdP to a VM (an otherwise clean
Ubuntu Server 14.04 installation).

I figured more people might be interested in something like this, so I
put a copy of this VM (in its bare-bone state) free for everyone to use.
I hope that you understand that I'm providing it 'as is' and cannot make
any promises or offer any support. The VM is available in .ova format[1]
at
<https://clarin.fz-juelich.de/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=c93c60720e219ecce8f3ce343363dc6c>.
I have only used and tested it with VirtualBox 4.3.

I attached a text file to this e-mail with some basic usage notes to get
started (some of this information is also embedded in the .ova). The
first step towards testing your application would be to deploy it (e.g.
in Tomcat or Apache) and apply the required shibboleth configuration.
The SP and IdP already know about each other, so no work should be
needed there if you only need the basics. If you want to know how to
proceed, please read the Shibboleth, Tomcat, Apache, ... documentation
available on the web.

Have fun!

Best,
Twan