[Dev] SMC Browser - update

Oddrun Ohren Oddrun.Ohren at nb.no
Wed Aug 28 10:08:34 CEST 2013

Hi Matej,

Thanks for the new version!  As I have said before, I find your tool highly informative and helpful. It also visualizes very clearly some of the problems with CR as it is today, notably the many duplicate or near-duplicate components and elements. I also think that a controlled vocabulary for domains (of profiles) could make the profile-domains graph really helpful. Introducing a similar attribute for components (something like "described object" with an accompanying vocabulary/ontology) would make the foundation for a corresponding graph component-described object. That way, it would be easy to detect components which describe persons, for example, without having to rely on them being called "person-" something or other.

With further development, I think CMD Browser could become a CMD analysis and management tool. For this we would need facilities like

*         profile/component comparison (e.g. compare selected components in terms of overlap, inclusion, etc.  Relations to investigate must of course be clearly defined), with textual/tabular report

*         detect profiles/components/elements which are similar to a given component ("similar" defined partly by user, e.g. "includes >= 80 % of the same DCs")

*         ...and more. We would have to think more about this...

Even further down the line, perhaps a graphical modeling tool could evolve, allowing the metadata modeler to create/update profiles by dragging/dropping components, elements and data categories on to a graphical canvas.

Back to the current version: Using Chrome, I have a little trouble with graphs extending past the window borders. The scroll bars don't seem to cover the whole canvas. Any attempt to manually move the nodes is undone by the automatic layout mechanism. I tried freeze, but then I still can't get hold of the nodes outside the accessible part of the canvas. Anything else I could have done, apart from using the layout parameters in the top bar?).

Best regards,
Oddrun