[Userinvolvement] Invitation to blog writing seminar

Fišer, Darja Darja.Fiser at ff.uni-lj.si
Sat Jun 1 09:39:32 CEST 2019

Dear members of the UI Committee,

last year, we held a seminar on social media for research infrastructures and your feedback was very positive. This is why we have arranged another similar seminar for our this year’s meeting, this time focusing on blog writing for the academic community, which is an important skill for our Tour de CLARIN initiative and the dissemination of our outreach activities in general. The seminar, which will take place before the CLARIN Annual Conference on 30 September 14:00-16:00 in Leipzig, will be given by Mićo Tatalović, Chair of the Association of British Science Writers and an expert in science communication. His bio and outline of the seminar can be found below. The seminar is in principle meant for members of the UI Committee but you can also propose a replacement if your national UI representative won’t be able to attend. It would be really great if each CLARIN country could be represented at the seminar.

As an additional service, the lecturer has proposed to review and give individual feedback on our blog posts, one submitted before and one after the seminar. This is a great opportunity to get individual feedback besides the general guidelines. In order to arrange this efficiently, we need to know the following:
- Will you (or someone from your consortium) attend the seminar?
- Will you (or another participant from your consortium) like to submit 2 of your blog posts, 1 before and 1 after the seminar?

To register for the seminar, please fill in this very short Google Form by 21 June:  https://forms.gle/PQt1dSjGYZdwuQN56

About the seminar:
2:00-2:10 Introductions and setting out expectations
2:10-2:30 Talk on best practice in blog writing: motivation, content, style, language, audiences; handing out of guidelines
2:30-2:40 Q&A and discussion with participants
2:40-3:00 Review of your blog output with constructive criticism
3:00-3:20 Exercise 1: original ideas and pitching them with improvements from the review in mind, and feedback on those ideas from colleagues and the trainer
3:20-3:50 Exercise 2: writing attractive headlines and blog post openings, with feedback
3:50-4:00 Final questions and conclusions

About the trainer:
Mićo Tatalović is the chairman of the Association of British Science Writers. He has worked as a science news editor at Nature, New Scientist and SciDev.Net<http://SciDev.Net>. Last year, he completed the Knight Science Journalism fellowship at MIT, in Cambridge, US. He is originally from Rijeka, Croatia, and is still actively involved in promoting science journalism in the region, through initiatives such as the Balkan School of Science Journalism and Balkan Science Beat. Mićo holds a BA degree in biology from the University of Oxford, an MPhil in zoology from the University of Cambridge, and an MSc in science communication from Imperial College London.

Best regards,
Darja Fišer

Univerza v Ljubljani
Filozofska fakulteta doc. dr. Darja Fišer
Oddelek za prevajalstvo / Department of translation
Filozofska fakulteta / Faculty of arts
Aškerčeva cesta 2, SI-1000 Ljubljana, Slovenija / Slovenia
darja.fiser at ff.uni-lj.si<mailto:darja.fiser at ff.uni-lj.si>, www.ff.uni-lj.si

[cid:3E2D45B8-8A16-4FEF-88B1-495AB2C90733 at ff.uni-lj.si]