[Tf-curation] CMDI strategy

Twan Goosen twan at clarin.eu
Fri Dec 20 15:22:30 CET 2019

Dear all,

Earlier this week we had another meeting on CMDI strategy and it looks
like we now have consensus on a set of goals and indicators, and most
importantly a list of tasks with rough prioritisation and at least one
name associated with each of them.

Here's a brief summary of where we're currently at. More details can be
found in the meeting notes [1]. Even if you don't have time to read
through any of this, please do  fill in the doodle for the next 'broad'
meeting (explained below) and after that consider having a look at the
task list (see below) and see if you would be interested in contributing
to any if your name isn't there yet.

* Doodle for the next meeting (second half of February) *

    https://doodle.com/poll/ymrdv7ue63h2y6gd

* Task force organisation *

Apart from making plans for tasks and activities, we also agreed on
streamlining the situation regarding the two ('formally') separate task
forces: CMDI and curation. Concretely, we decided to subscribe all
members of the 'tf-curation' mailing list to 'tf-cmdi' and for now
abandon the former. I need some authorisation on the list server to
actually carry this out, but will try do so as soon as possible - most
likely in the first half of January. If this changes anything for you,
you should get a notification.

In terms of task force meetings, the intention is to have 'broad' task
force meetings every 6~8 weeks, mainly to report on concrete activities
by task-specific groups, synchronise between tasks and discuss general
matters. The specific task groups can of course decide on meeting
schedule and means of collaboration.

* Tasks *

In the first quarter of 2020 we aim to start (or continue) working on a
number of specific tasks in parallel:

    - Completion of the common use cases evaluation (Andreas & *Twan*)
    - Core profiles and components (*Twan*, Alex, Andreas, Marcin,
Oddrun, Felix)
    - Vocabularies investigation (Oddrun, Matej, Dieter, *Twan*)
    - CMDI general documentation rewrite (Alex, Felix, *Dieter*)
    - Solutions for gathering user feedback/experience/satisfaction
(*Alex*, ...)

The names mentioned are of those who expressed interest in working on
those tasks. For each task, one out of these has been *appointed* to
take care of the (initial) organisation required to get the work on the
task going. I think it would be ok to use this list for that purpose as
long as the number of messages is within bounds. If you are interested
in contributing towards one of the tasks, please let me know or contact
the task 'coordinator'.

Beyond the high priority tasks listed above, we also identified a number
of tasks which are to be taken up in the mid to long term. More details
on these can be found in the notes of the meeting page [1] and the
strategy working document [2]. There you will also find the description
of the CMDI (task force) goals.

For now this is the most important information regarding the CMDI
strategy. Concrete information about the specific tasks will likely
follow in January. We will meet again (virtually) in a broader setting
in February. As this is probably the last message I'm sending this year,
let me wish you all happy holidays and say that I'm very much looking
forward to continue our work on CMDI together in the new year :)

Best,
Twan

P.S. don't forget to fill in the Doodle :)
<https://doodle.com/poll/ymrdv7ue63h2y6gd>

[1] https://trac.clarin.eu/wiki/Taskforces/CMDI/Meeting20191218
[2]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cRJKiise8HFS16gqG4gC3TsI0W-TnLSnebh_YS6mZ3U/edit?usp=sharing