[Tf-curation] Part III: Re: AW: AW: License/Availability was WG: Re: LicenseAvailabilityMap.xml in vlo/trunk/vlo-commons/src/main/resources – CLARIN Trac

Krister Lindén krister.linden at helsinki.fi
Sun Jan 31 22:26:56 CET 2016

Dear all,

I now also went through the table in Google docs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Pf8Jk_P7RaA-7-dj8fcLOKNH5DjprraFEWXgQ3FvVtQ/

and made some final adjustments where Matej and Penny had differing
views adopting either of their views or providing a new one. In
particular, we should note the following implications hold, the reasons
for which were explained in may message Part I:

  ACA => ID;BY;NORED
  ACA;META => ID;BY
  RES => ID;BY;NORED

(Note that the presence of META for research data takes away the NORED
tag as META-SHARE Commons data can be distributed within the META
community.)

In addition to having known tag-encoded conditions, we have also
foreseen that there will be a host of odd conditions that we have no
pre-specified tag for. All of these will require that the end-user takes
a look at the original license. For these, conditions the tag is an
asterisk: *, but I guess a more programmer friendly version is "other".

Part III:

On 27.1.2016 16:17, Durco, Matej wrote:
> thank you a lot for the extensive review and comments. I would indeed
> like to ask the other ones (especially Krister?) to comment on the
> points raised by Penny. We would like to close this list by the end
> of the week and generate a new mapping file out of it. Let's say
> Monday 1.2. afternoon is deadline, ok?

It seems like I am going to make it, even though I didn't see this
deadline before to night :-).

> Still to the other problem - the bad coverage. Here is the link [1]
> to the list of profiles, the number of records we have in the VLO,
> the coverage of individual facets, especially availability and
> license. They are ordered by their contribution to VLO (number of
> records) and for the top 16 I already investigated. For
> imdi-profile-instance and dcmiterms we could try to explore and
> exploit one of dct:rights; dct:license; dct:accessRights. However in
> most cases there is no place for information about l/a in the profile
> in the first place. This concerns primarily (amountwise) the profiles
> from Meertens Institute, and IDS, Mannheim. Marc Kemps-Snijders from
> Meertens Institute meant, they will be revisiting their profiles in
> the next couple of months, which would be good opportunity to
> introduce l/a information. (Marc, right? Any chance this can be
> prioritized?)

Marc already responded, so when this has been taken care of other CLARIN
centers can perhaps be asked to map their own data in the same fashion.

> You are welcome to continue exploring the list and add comments,
> suggestions. I used SMC Browser [2] for that, even though the data
> there is old, the profile definitions did not change (except for the
> ConceptLinks) so it still gives useful insight.
>
> [1]
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eeOr0ShOWxdY8BLzp62LDyfGgHo0gZ95Myw0qauzLxU/edit#gid=0
>[2] http://clarin.oeaw.ac.at/smc-browser

I guess eventually, we may need to resort to the CLIC crowd for mappings
when the providers we have access to and influence over have been exhausted.

--
Krister