[Tf-aai] A short summary of Pisa and other developments

Martin Matthiesen martin.matthiesen at csc.fi
Thu Nov 1 15:50:10 CET 2018

Hello,

Let me still appologize for not announcing on this list that I did not plan a meeting in Pisa. No one complained, but I think it would have made sense, since a slot was announced in the program. We ended up having an informal discussion about AAI issues with Jozef, Ondrej and André anyway. Issues discussed were the state of the taskforce itself and whether it is still needed in its present form. We all agreed that attribute release has improved a lot over the years, but still is an issue. One idea that came up is the implementation of a proxy SP, similar to the one in Life Sciences. A proxy SP is essentially an SP that CLARIN would register to eduGAIN and all national federations. The SP would be registered in CLARIN services as an IdP (similar to the CLARIN IdP now) and serve as a single point of access from the perspective of national federations. It could also handle local accounts (like our present CLARIN IdP). While certainly doable, a proxy SP would be a single point of failure and also aggregate a lot of data, making it also an interesting attack target. It would simplify SP registration for the SPF, though, since national SPs would no longer be needed to be registered individually.

The idea was hatched also at CSC, so I promised to ask around about experiences, my appologies, this will take few weeks still, I will get back to that.

We also discussed that a workshop on AAI could be organised, for newcomers as well as older centres. I would also like to remind everyone to consider integrating Lindat's Attribute Aggregator, it collects general statistics about attribute release.

In other news we just had another meeting about providing sensitive data via the Language Bank of Finland. EOSC has decided to use us a use case. Please contact me if you would like to know more.

Regards,
Martin

--
Martin Matthiesen
CSC - Tieteen tietotekniikan keskus
+358 9 457 2376, martin.matthiesen at csc.fi
Public key : https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x74B12876FD890704
Fingerprint: AA25 6F56 5C9A 8B42 009F  BA70 74B1 2876 FD89 0704