[Standards] request for support for LMF-6-themed workshop application by F. Frontini

Piotr Banski banski at ids-mannheim.de
Thu Mar 19 15:04:38 CET 2020

Dear all,

You may recall from our last teleconference that Francesca Frontini is
the project leader of the nascent ISO LMF-6 ("Lexicon Markup Framework -
Syntax and Semantics") and that Francesca is preparing an application
for a workshop meant to, firstly, communicate the assumptions and the
state of work on the LMF-6 proposal to the CLARIN community, and,
secondly, gather feedback from our community on the actual use cases,
problems, application areas, etc., in order for the standardization
procedure to proceed according to the rules of the trade, namely by
building on the best practices in the field, with CLARIN being given, as
it were, the front seat in this case.

The initial plans are still to hold the workshop following this year's
CAC (with various obvious questions raised, given the current situation,
but one has to assume a measure of stability and hope for the
next-to-best), and Francesca plans on distributing the standard proposal
(or more precisely new-work-item proposal) well in advance, so that the
interested researchers can do their homework before the meeting and
present their results there, in a kind of hands-on session.

I have participated in the work of ISO Technical Committee 37
Subcommittee 4 (TC37SC4) Working Group 4, where, in January, Francesca
presented her initial take on the LMF-6 proposal, and where the group
tasked Francesca with preparing the workshop (and me with paving the way
to the CLARIN Governance/Office). I have also seen the workshop
application that Francesca is about to submit to CLARIN ERIC. I am
confident that the workshop can be an event fruitful both for the ISO
initiative and for CLARIN.

I would like to ask the committee for support for this initiative, so
that Francesca can cite that in the project proposal. More precisely, *I
would like to ask for implied support, i.e., for Francesca to be able to
mention that the CSC supports the idea of organising the workshop, if
there are no vetoes posted to this list today or tomorrow*.

Let me stress that there is no risk of any kind involved here to the
CSC: a member wishes to organize an event under the liaison between ISO
TC37SC4 and CLARIN to involve the CLARIN community in the ISO process.
Participation in TC37SC4 is one of the intended activities of CLARIN, as
evidenced by the recent signing of the liaison, which gives CLARIN
members the right to view the standards processed by TC37SC4 and opens
the path of influence on the developing/reassessed standards. It is also
in our interest as the CSC to be visible in standardization initiatives,
especially if they involve a CSC member and a standards body that our
committee helped to forge a liaison with.

I am sure that Francesca will make the LMF-6 proposal available to us
when it is in a shareable shape. But I am also convinced that the above
paragraph summarizes the reasons for the CSC to be sympathetic to the
initiative already at this stage.

With advance thanks for your support and best regards,

   Piotr