[Standards] [Teiweblicht] [Dev] proposal: using a common mime type for TEI files

Thomas Schmidt thomas.schmidt at ids-mannheim.de
Tue Jun 21 12:32:15 CEST 2016

Dear all,

revising my suggestions from the teiweblicht list according to Bryan's
proposal to use official mime-types plus parameters (instead of
x-extended custom mime types) would mean that:

"text/x-tei-isospoken+xml" could become "text/tei+xml;
format-variant=tei-iso-spoken" (+ tokenized=0/1)
"text/x-tei-dta+xml" could become "text/tei+xml;
format-variant=tei-dta" (+ tokenized=0/1)
"text/x-exmaralda-exb+xml" could become "text/xml; format-variant=exmaralda-exb"
... and so forth (for other TEI oder XML based formats)

Wouldn't that be a solomonic solution? What do the WebLicht developers
say? And independently of that, I think that Hanna is right that these
format-related specifications (in this case: the name and possible
values of attributes which are used in addition to a mime type) would
need to be documented and made known at a central place. I guess it
would be up to the standards committee to decide on that?

Best regards,

Thomas