[Standards] [Dev] proposal: using a common mime type for TEI files

Hanna Hedeland hanna.hedeland at uni-hamburg.de
Fri Jun 17 13:18:17 CEST 2016

Hi all,

great to see this issue being discussed on the EU level, as Thomas said,
we've been trying for some time to arrive at some solution for the WebLicht
scenario, I suppose the WebLicht team are also on one of the lists and can
benefit from the suggestions and the input :)

I think the standards/IANA aspect might be a valid argument against the
solution with individual non-(yet-)approved mime types, but on the other
hand I don't really see how an xml or even tei mime type can be information
enough for webservices relevant for processing linguistic resources.

Either way, we really need to agree on a uniform and useful way of
describing and listing formats (not only TEI variants) in CLARIN, since
most of the relevant formats share a standard mimetype. And maybe here I
could just (once more) point to the Format Registry (
https://trac.clarin.eu/wiki/FormatRegistry) - or rather what the format
registry should be (or maybe I should ask where something replacing this
link is, and I just haven't heard about it). I guess if the declaration of
formats being used is done with CMDI, someone could theoretically harvest
all of this information and display it, and we'd find out about
inconsistencies, but there are of course other ways to achieve this. Has
there been any recent development in creating this kind of inventory?

Thanks and best regards,
Hanna

--
Hanna Hedeland