[Standards] Strategic F2F Meeting: Standards in Clarin - April 10th in Vienna

Andreas Witt witt at ids-mannheim.de
Mon Mar 16 22:09:41 CET 2015

Dear Members of the CLARIN Standards Committee,

After some time collecting and spreading information about the use of
standards within CLARIN and after our last years face-to-face meeting
co-located with the annual meeting of the ISO group on standards for
language resources it seems to be reasonable to start a discussion about
a general Clarin Standards' Policy.

What we think we need soon is a consensus of the CLARIN standards
committee on how to define CLARIN's position to standards. As you know,
the CLARIN Standards Committee collects and presents information about
standards. We also encourage people to use standards. But one thing, we
are not able to do yet is 'enforcing' the use of standards within
CLARIN. We would very much like to talk about is:

1. Do we want to enforce the use of standards?
2. If the answer is yes: How could we enforce the use of standards?
3. If the answer is no: What could be the role of the standards
committee (except simply informing CLARIN people about standards)?

We would like to have this meeting on Friday, April 10th, from 9 a.m. to
12.15 p.m. in Vienna, ÖAW, Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities
(ACDH), Sonnenfelsgasse 19 (see http://www.oeaw.ac.at/acdh/)

Besides us - in our position as chairs of the committee - Dieter van
Uytvanck from the CLARIN ERIC and Jan Odijk already accepted to come to
Vienna for this meeting.

Please let us know soon if you could attend this meeting.

Best regards,
Charly and Andreas

--
Andreas Witt
Programmbereichsleiter Forschungsinfrastruktur (IDS)