[CLARIN-OH] CLARIN Oral History workshop: follow-up

Corti, Louise corti at essex.ac.uk
Mon Jun 6 20:38:49 CEST 2016

Ok, sure. Great!

That will be pretty much the same paper as me.. so let's sure we find some good contrasting angles. If we can present case studies of what people have done and what tools they have used that would make ot strong.

id like to get some really contrasting perspectives but not get too hung up on actual tools (me and my tool), but more on  functionality and exploitation of rich metadata.

Attached is a first draft of the abstract I want to give.

***
When does qualitative sociological research become digital humanities? : competing disciplinary standards for data publishing
Corti & Bell

In this paper we look at the differences and similarities between the approaches taken by social science data archives with digital humanities scholars to document and publish ‘qualitative’ data collections, that include oral history.

While the data created are the same products, say a set of audio/audio-visual recordings with a topic guide, the needs for users from different communities appear to be quite different.

In this paper we present use cases from both communities and compare and contrast the approaches. We provide example of data portals that have published oral history data, considering what type of functionality has been made available, which metadata standards have been used, and how automated and reusable are the workflows.

We describe a ‘data dive’ we will be holding based on a large-scale British oral history collection that aims to bring together users across the disciplines to identify approaches and tools needed for discovery and analysis.

Best