[Dev] Metadata modelling question

Twan Goosen twan.goosen at mpi.nl
Tue Feb 16 14:35:44 CET 2016

Hi all,

On 16/02/16 12:55, Windhouwer, Menzo wrote:

> In SVN we had the following approach
>
> - 1.1 production branch -> synced with infra.clarin.eu/cmd/
> - 1.2 production branch -> currently empty (future: synced with
> infra.clarin.eu/cmd/1)
> - master  -> development of 1.2 toolkit
>
> and it just moved like that to github.
It comes down to the interpretation of "master" and although there is no
official recommendation as far as I know, I like the idea of 'master'
being the latest stable release since it is where people will look first
and are most likely to work with. If you're coming from svn however it
also (at least initially) makes sense to map 'trunk' to 'master' but the
'Vicent Driessen' model introduces a 'develop' branch for this.

> How do we transform this into 'Vincent Driessen's branching model’? We
> would put 1.1 as a tagged release in the master, and 1.2 in the
> develop branch, right? To achieve would it be the easiest to start
> with a fresh git(hub) repository, populate master and development, and
> keep the current one (on SVN) for the historians?
If we are to do it now, I would say create a new branch 'develop' from
'master', then remove 'master' and create a new branch called 'master'
from 'cmdi-1.1'.
The history will be kept (though not the original branch names after
they are removed), and I don't think creating a new repository is
necessary. I'm OK with keeping the SVN as well as long as it is very
clear that it has been deprecated.

If we do it when we release 1.2, we can simply merge the 'cmdi-1.2'
branch to 'master', and rename 'cmdi-1.2' to 'develop'. Removing the
'cmdi-1.1' branch is optional, but I think it's ok to do so, since we
don't intend to keep developing it in parallel. But we should make tags.

Best,
Twan