[Dev] New Virtual Collection Registry alpha release

Twan Goosen twan at clarin.eu
Sun Jul 13 11:05:06 CEST 2014

Dear CLARIN developers,

For those who are interested: a new ALPHA release of the Virtual
Collection Registry (VCR) is available at
<http://catalog-clarin.esc.rzg.mpg.de/vcr> for your viewing,
experimenting and constructive criticising pleasure :) For the parts
that require authentication, I have created 20 test accounts with
usernames 'vcr-test1' to 'vcr-test20' and password 'vcr'. Take your pick :)

This version is a continuation of the work of Oliver Schonefeld of IDS
over the last couple of years. It adds some small but crucial features,
most importantly an endpoint for other web based tools to submit to the
VCR; furthermore there a quite a few improvements with respect to
stability and maintainability of the application.

As a test case, I extended the non-production version of the VLO with an
option to submit search results to the VCR as a new collection. You can
test this yourself by going to
<http://catalog-clarin.esc.rzg.mpg.de/vlo/>, making a selection with at
most 1000 results and choosing the option "Create virtual collection
from search results" from the "Search Options" box. Doing so will prompt
you to log in to the VCR.
This version of the VCR also fully supports Shibboleth (by means of the
SHHAA filter), but since this test server is not Shibbolised, this
cannot be demonstrated at this point.

Some further changes:
* The public interface of the VCR's REST service has been somewhat
refactored; up-to-date documentation is available[1].
* Published collection now get a handle by means of the EPIC APIv2
(currently with a test prefix, persistence not guaranteed!).
* You may also notice that the CMDI serialisations of the virtual
collections are now based on a new profile, which currently is not
public but can be inspected via the Component Registry's REST interface
[2]. I expect that it will be tweaked a bit before the stable release.

As can be seen in the overview of the VCR 1.0 Milestone[3], there are
still some remaining tasks before this version can go into production;
most importantly the addition of some administration facilities and
improved in-application documentation for the web front-end.
The intention is not too add any additional features to this version
beyond those specified in this milestone. There is a plan[4] for future
versions. However, I am very much interested in your feedback on the
current alpha release. So please have a look and feel free to send me
your findings and other comments. I will be on vacation for all of next
week and most of the week after that, so I may not reply until I get
back.  If you encounter any urgent issues (e.g. server is down) in the
meantime, please contact Dieter about this.

Have fun!

Best regards,
Twan

[1]