[Dev] VLO 3.0 beta version

Twan Goosen twan at clarin.eu
Tue Apr 29 11:49:27 CEST 2014

Hi everyone,

VLO  3.0 has reached the next stage and has been deployed at the VLO
*beta* location at <http://catalog.clarin.eu/vlobeta/> for your viewing
and testing pleasure :) Since this is a beta version, it is functionally
complete but has not been fully tested so you may encounter unresolved
issues. If you do so, or have any other kind of feedback on its
functioning, please send a message to the following address: <vlo at carin.eu>.

As stated before, this version has a complete redesign and largely a
reimplementation of the front-end. There are three important design
changes that you may need to get used to initially if you are used to
the current VLO, but we think will improve the experience for the
average user:
- the 'opening page' of the VLO no longer presents all the facets, but
rather invites the user to make a primary selection or enter some search
terms; it also has links to go on browsing through the entire collection
of records;
- search results are far more prominent, while not all facets are always
'expanded', leading to a less cluttered view;
- selection of a specific collection has been visually separated from
the other (more cross-cutting) facets to guide the user in making a
relevant selection.

Also, please take note of the following:

- The following additions, among others, have been made since the alpha
release of VLO 3.0 in March:
     * Added a 'simple search' front page
     * Added expansion of search results items to see more details
     * Added federated content search support
     * Added links to help and error report form
     * Added support for themes, including a CLARIN-D theme
         e.g. <http://catalog.clarin.eu/vlobeta?theme=clarin-d>
     * Added a filter or 'quick search' input to facet selection panels
     * Added an advanced search options box with the option to filter on
FCS records

- Planned for later (>=3.1):
     * Refined layout and theming
     * Localisation (e.g. a German version)
     * Possibly an advanced search form (complex queries, also allowing
for AND/OR)
     * Improvements to the facet mapping

- The web applications utilises JavaScript and AJAX quite extensively
but should be completely functional with JavaScript disabled; if you
encounter any issues concerning this, please report!

- If you would like to report errors or other issues encountered, please
mention the (approximate) time and date of occurrence so that we can try
to link these to our own logs and reports.

We hope you will like this new version of the VLO front-end and/or send
your feedback to <vlo at clarin.eu>!

Best,
Twan

--