[Dev] Streaming server - experience?

Paul Trilsbeek Paul.Trilsbeek at mpi.nl
Thu Dec 19 17:28:56 CET 2013

The traditional true streaming solutions (RTP) are not used a lot any more these days to my knowledge due to all the hassle with firewalls. For video, pseudo-streaming is extensively used by all the major online video services, which is basically a http progressive download with some server side solution to chop up the file in pieces to allow for random access to parts that have not yet been downloaded. It doesn’t work for audio-only though (although I never really understood why) and it is fairly easy to figure out the download link by looking in the source of the HTML. I agree with Dieter that in principle anything that you see or hear via your computer can be captured in one way or another, but perhaps the HTTP Live Streaming solution that was put forward by Apple would be something to look into. It seems to support some kind of DRM, it is supported by many clients including mobile platforms and there seem to be lots of server implementations available:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming

Best,

Paul