[Dev] CLARIN-FCS: clarification about FCS schema

Oliver Schonefeld schonefeld at ids-mannheim.de
Thu Oct 4 11:08:18 CEST 2012

[X-Posted to CLARIN-D developers]

Hi Matej,

Am 01.10.2012 16:28, schrieb Matej Durco:
[..]
> 2)
> the recursiveness was introduced to allow
> referencing parent collections to the (matching) Resource
> (including (potentially resolved) references to the CMD-record):
>
> <sru:recordData>
>      <fcs:Resource pid="{ancestor-collection}">
>         <fcs:Resource pid="{parent-collection}">
>              <fcs:DataView mime-type="application/x-clarin-cmd+xml"
>                          ref="{cmd-url}" />
>            <fcs:Resource pid="{matching-resource-handle}" >
>                 <fcs:ResourceFragment pid="{fragment-identifier}" >
>                      <fcs:DataView
> mime-type="application/x-clarin-fcs-kwic+xml" >... </fcs:DataView>
>                  </fcs:ResourceFragment>
>             </fcs:Resource>
>        </fcs:Resource>
>    </fcs:Resource>
> </sru:recordData>
>
> it is problematic insofar, as if there are multiple matching Resources
> within one collection
> they still should be put in a separate hit (<sru:record>).
> So admittedly this is practically not applicable:
> <sru:recordData>
>   <fcs:Resource pid="{collection-handle}">
>        <fcs:Resource pid="{res1-pid}" > ... </fcs:Resource>
>        <fcs:Resource pid="{res2-pid}" > ... </fcs:Resource>
>   <fcs:Resource>
> </sru:recordData>
>
> I would still vote for (corrected) recursiveness, except there is an
> alternative proposal for referencing the parent-collections.

I have some more questions to clarify the issue:
- What is the use-case for referencing the parent-collection?
   Or why is it useful to reference it?
- What exactly is the distinction between Resource and ResourceFragment?
- Can there be Resources without ResourceFragment?
- If I have a KWIC result, do I need to put the KWIC in a
   ResourceFragment or would an appropriate DataView sufficient?
- What kind of DataViews are usually expected on a Resource level? Are
   there already any ideas or use-cases?
- Are there more than one ResourceFragment expected within a record
   (bearing in mind, that each hit shall be wrapped within
    a <sru:record>)?

If we just need to reference the parent, why not just introduce a single
(optional?) <Parent> element per Resource, that has the @pid and/or @ref
to the parent resource, e.g.
<Resource pid="{resource-pid" ref="{resource-ref}">
   <Parent pid="{parent-pid}" ref="{parent-ref} />
   <ResourceFragment ..>
      <DataView mine-type="application/x-clarin-fcs-kwic+xml">
      </DataView>
   </ResorceFragment>
</Resource>

Best,
  Oliver
--
Oliver Schonefeld
Institut für Deutsche Sprache, Zentrale Forschung