[Dev] Standards for dates and date ranges

Dieter Van Uytvanck dieter.vanuytvanck at mpi.nl
Tue May 22 08:24:22 CEST 2012

On 21/5/12 15:35 , "Jörg Knappen" wrote:
> I wonder why CLARIN does not strongly recommend the standard ISO 8601
> for date and time
> (including time ranges).

Hi Jörg,

thanks for your suggestion, I would propose to use the subset of ISO
8601 which corresponds to the xml dateTime type:

http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime

(and you are right, we should add this to the list of preferred standards)

This leaves out very unusual date formats like 2009-W53-7

Unfortunately this will not solve all the problems mentioned in
http://trac.clarin.eu/ticket/36 as we do not have control over the
metadata of external (non-clarin) metadata providers.

best,
--
Dieter Van Uytvanck
Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen, the Netherlands