[All] Multilingual Digital Single Market Open Letter

CLARIN ERIC clarin at clarin.eu
Mon Apr 20 15:18:43 CEST 2015

Dear CLARIN colleagues,

Exceptionally we would like to forward this important request to support an open letter to the European Commission.

Please have a look, and if you agree, sign it!  This certainly seems to be in the best interest of CLARIN and similar initiatives.

Thank you,

Sebastian Drude (for the CLARIN ERIC office)

--

PD Dr. Sebastian Drude, CLARIN-D

Max-Planck-Institute for Psycholinguistics

P.O. Box 310, 6500 AH Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Email:  <mailto:Sebastian.Drude at mpi.nl> Sebastian.Drude at mpi.nl – Phone: (+31) 24-3521.446

 <http://www.mpi.nl/people/drude-sebastian> http://www.mpi.nl/people/drude-sebastian

From: Georg Rehm [mailto:georg.rehm at dfki.de]

Dear supporter of our Open Letter to the EC <http://www.multilingualeurope.eu/> ,

with this message the European Language Technology Community would like to thank you very much for signing and supporting our open letter to the European Commission: “Europe’s Digital Single Market must be multilingual! <http://www.multilingualeurope.eu/> ”

http://www.multilingualeurope.eu <http://www.multilingualeurope.eu/>

We’re very happy that, by now, more than 3,300 politicians (including several Members of the European Parliament), industry representatives, language professionals, translators, researchers, academics, administrators, officials and concerned citizens have signed our open letter.

As you know, our open letter is a response from the Language (Technology) community – including Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Processing, Data, Knowledge, Cognitive Science, Multilingualism etc. – to the EC consultations for their Digital Single Market (DSM) Strategy. There is a severe danger that our field is vanishing from the EC priorities. Currently it’s not yet part of the strategic priorities of EC Vice President Andrus Ansip – we’re trying to change that.

This is why we would like to ask you to support our Open Letter once more, by circulating this message in your networks, to your friends, colleagues, partners and collaborators. We also attach a fact sheet that provides additional facts and figures on the Multilingual Digital Single Market.

The next few days are our only chance to get the EC's attention. Let’s use it!

Your further support is very much needed! Please circulate this message widely.

Hope to see many of you at our Riga Summit 2015 on the Multilingual Digital Single Market <http://www.rigasummit2015.eu/> : META-FORUM 2015 (April 27), the Plenary Day (April 28), the Multilingual Web Workshop 2015 (April 29) – and more! Please register your attendance at http://www.rigasummit2015.eu <http://www.rigasummit2015.eu/>  (free of charge).

Again, thank you very much for your support!

Best regards,

Georg Rehm